include the following:
- 1st Prize, Overall Winner in the inaugural Zoological Society of London (ZSL) Poetry Competition, judged by a panel including Ruth Padel. My winning poem was 'Raft Race', about IUCN Red Listed Fen Raft Spiders.
- Awarded title of Best Fixed Form Poet 2011 by Metverse Muse (ed. Dr. H. Tulsi, Visakhapatnam, India, Founder-Leader of the World Renaissance for Classical Poetry). My winning poems were a Terzanelle, 'King of the Kilt Rock Cloud' [28/2010] (about Kilt Rock on Skye) and a Rubai, 'Life's Silken Thread' [27/2010].
- 'Puffin Brothers' [8/2008] was voted 4th (just making 'The Box') in Reach Poetry issue 158 (ed. Ronnie Goodyer and Dawn Bauling, IDP).
- Joint 2nd Prize (with Claire Knight) Fixed Form Poet of the Year Awards (Category A), Metverse Muse (ed. Dr H. Tulsi, Visakhapatnam, India)
- 2nd Prize in Writelink Spring Fever Poetry Competition (judge: Jay Smedley) for my Terza Rima, 'Observations from the Hide' [11/2011]. The poem will be published in the competition anthology.
- 'Elegy for Idris Davies' - voted Poem of the Month (December 2010) by Anne Stewart on the SecondLightLiveThe Seventh Quarry. You can read it here. This poem was published by Peter Thabit Jones in The Seventh Quarry. You can read it here.
- Writelink Writer of the Month, November 2010
- 'The Wishing Woman of Seal Bay' (a Lilibonelle) has been awarded 1st Prize (£40) in the Writelink 'Grape and Grain' Poetry Competition. October 2010. [30/2010]
- 'Nursery Nocturne' (a Pantoum), 2nd Prize in the Writelink Quarterly Challenge on the theme of 'Generations'. [9/2010]
- 'A Chink in the Sky' (a puffin poem, Rondeau Redoubled) for publication in the Writelink anthology. This poem was shortlisted by judge, Magdalena (Maggie) Ball, in the Writelink 'Spring Fever' competition. [3/2010]
- 'Undercurrents': 4th place in the 2010 Writelink Monthly Poetry Challenge Contest on the subject of 'Whispers'. Judge: Daffni Percival. [2/2010]
- 'Turner's Loch Coruisk, Skye', Reach Poetry, issue 141, June 2010 (Indigo Dreams Publishing, editors Ronnie Goodyer and Dawn Bauling). 2nd Prize in Readers' Votes for issue 141. [24/2009].
- 'William Burges Wallpaper, Knightshayes Court', 2nd Prize in the latest Writelink poetry competition on the theme of 'Rivals'. My poem is about the creatures on the Burges wallpaper at Knightshayes Court, a National Trust property near Tiverton. [22/2010].
- 'The Winding Way', a Kyrielle, has taken Joint Second Position in the Metverse Muse Fixed Form Poetry Competition 2010. As of August 2010. [10/2010]
- The Haddon Library Poetry Competition (Cambridge University 800): 'Sleepover at the Museum', Third Prize.
- Reach Poetry: I am delighted (and surprised) to find my name listed as one of six poets with the most 2009 appearances in 'The Box' of readers' votes.
- Reach Poetry, October 2009, 'Dusk at Dozmary Pool' voted Joint Third in Readers' Votes.
- Reach Poetry, issue 128: 'Sea Scribe' voted Third in Readers' Votes.
- TIPS 68, September issue: ‘Mount Grace: Heads and Tails’ voted Joint First in Readers' Votes.
Up to 2016 (inclusive)
First Prize Wins
include the following:
- 2014 Inaugural ZSL Poetry Competition, Adult Section and Overall Winner
- 2007 Petra Kenney Poetry Competition, General Section
- 2007 St Fagan's E-steddfod, English Language Section, category: Haiku
- 2006 St Fagan's E-steddfod, English Language Section, category: Haiku
- 2005 Helford River Poetry Competition, adult section
- 2005 Ottakar/Faber Carmarthen store, adult section
- 2005 Writing Magazine Ottava Rima Competition
- 2003 Davidian Poetry Competition, Wendy Webb Books, Norfolk Poets & Writers
- 1972 Sevenoaks Three Arts Festival Grove Poetry First Prize, when aged 11
Other Prizes and Commendations up to 2007
These are not listed on the web at the present time.
Return to main publication index